Ruth enjoyed a successful career as scientist, manager and adviser in the Victorian Government for 20+ years before serving her community as a Mayor and Councillor. For the past 6 years she has worked as a consultant and adviser to councils, peak bodies in local government, businesses and community leaders.
Recent projects include:
- Contracted by Local Government Victoria to develop the Best Practice Guidelines for Gender Equity in Local Government; – with support from the Ministerial Women’s Roundtable, the local government sector and the Office of Prevention and Women’s Equality. (Released July 2018) https://www.localgovernment.vic.gov.au/our-programs/gender-equity
- Independent expert adviser to Councillors. Support Councillors in the recruitment of their next CEO. In 2018 this included supporting Victoria’s largest council the City of Casey and fourth fastest growing council Cardinia. (July 2018)
- Delivered various professional development training workshops for peak bodies VLGA and MAV 2017 and 2018 on topics such as Governance; the Good, Bad and Dodgy, Disaster Managment for Mayors, as well as workshops on Managing the intricacies of your CEO. https://www.mav.asn.au/events/councillor-development/mayoral-program
- Assisting Councillor and Executive Management Teams teams to work productively by developing a joint strategic vision and agreeing on respectful ways to work together. (Recent councils include Moyne, Southern Grampians, Queenscliffe)
- Working with the Victorian Local Governance Association on the Go Women LG project to encourage and support more women to run for the 2016 Victorian council elections resulting in a record number of women candidates and a successful increase of elected women to 38% of Councillors. Managing events and social media.
- Consulting to the Shire of Yarra Ranges to evaluate diverse service provision for ATSI families and make recommendations for future strategic direction as well as facilitate input from key stakeholders.
- Collaborating with the VLGA on script development and filming to record the experiences of diverse women candidates in the 2016 election campaign including women from CALD and LGBTI backgrounds, rural and youth.
- Early career as an agricultural scientific researcher, in clean agriculture initiatives including organic produce.
- Elected as a local Councillor to Baw Baw Shire 2007-2011 including a term as Mayor in 2009. Elected Vice President of the Victorian Local Governance Association and led the West Gippsland community in response and recovery to the devastating Black Saturday bushfire disaster.
- With a passion for encouraging greater diversity in council candidates standing for elections, Ruth was Social Media Manager for the Go Women LG campaign over 2015-16 (Facebook, Twitter & media events) which saw a record number of female candidates and elected women Councillors.
- Mentor in various programs including the Federal government’s Rural Young Women’s Mentoring Program and with Leadership Victoria’s leadership programs.
- Co-founder of Honour a Woman, a movement to push for gender equality in the Australian Honours with an aim of 50:50 by the year 2020. https://www.facebook.com/Honourawoman