A commitment to absolute professionalism guides my support to clients; especially when working in high-stress environments or with ‘unique’ personalities. With three decades of experience managing diverse teams and public projects, I’m known as a ‘safe pair of hands’ who gets the job done as promised. Professional – every, single, time.
Aristotle wisely noted that ‘Man is by nature a political animal’. I get a kick out of helping men and women to boost their political intelligence, to tap into their ‘political animal’ and master politics. As a former Mayor, campaign coordinator, and author of Get Elected, I understand the power of positive politics.
The leaders I admire, seek to change the world for the better. Yet, if you wish to do good things, you need power. This is where my insights into politics help. I bring respect, straight-talk and a WARM* style to supporting leaders to power-up. (*World According to Ruth McGowan)
Focus Areas in 2020/21
Ruth’s focus is on supporting local government leaders to develop personal skills and build high-performing teams that deliver good decisions for their community.
- Supporting new Victorian council teams to set up for a productive term through a range of programs in 2020/2021.
- Training in Political Intelligence for councillors and the managers that need to work with them
- Confidential councillor coach for new and returning councillors, either in small group coaching or one-on-one personal coaching.
- As a convenor with Governance Evaluator, I support councils to build the capabilities of councillors. This personalised evaluation tool assesses the competencies of each councillor and provides a tailored action plan so they can focus on the governance skills they need to develop.
- Mentor high achieving Mayors who could benefit from extra support to take the bold steps needed to lead through challenging times.
- Facilitate better conversations through induction workshops designed to help Councillors and Executives, work respectfully together to deliver positive change for their community (Download the 2020/21 Program)
- Supporting active citizenship by delivering training on Get Elected and EQUIP campaign workshops, particularly for NSW Local Government elections as a partner with Women for Election Australia
Politics, big personalities, and genuine engagement with people is what fascinates me about local government.
When these come together in the right combination, it is a powerful force for good, especially when a community is emerging from a setback or disaster.
I work with councillors and senior managers to develop better teams, inclusive services and engaged communities.
Across Australia, there are more than 5300 councillors. They are important decision-makers who are entrusted to manage finances and assets while overseeing the delivery of exceptional services to diverse communities. They often need support to help get things right. I provide expertise as someone who understands the pain, the problems – and the possibilities. Contact me if I can help.
Ruth wears many hats.
Consultant. Speaker. Trainer. Coach.
Ruth has worked as a consultant and adviser to councils, peak bodies in local government and community leaders since 2012.
Growing up on the family farm in northeast Victoria, I was fascinated by the natural world and science. I studied agriculture at uni and spent the first twenty years of my career managing research and communication projects for the Victorian government while bringing up three wonderful children.
In the last decade, I changed my career direction to local government; first as a councillor and mayor with Baw Baw Shire Council, and now I manage my own consultancy business.
Community service is important to me and I have volunteered for organisations involved in education and disability support, advancing gender equality and with my local Country Fire Authority brigade.
My service has been acknowledged with a Medal of the Order (OAM) and a National Emergency Medal. I now advocate for gender equality in the Australian Honours through Honour a Woman.
Always a country girl at heart and soul, I live on a small property in West Gippsland with my husband, a couple of horses, chooks and a beloved rescue border collie, Cosmo.
Making a Difference