I help bring about enduring change that makes a difference
Advisor - Coach - Trainer - Consultant
‘Dynamic’ is a word often used to describe Ruth by those who have enjoyed working with her. And it’s true. Ruth brings her passion for life and enjoyment of people, to everything she does.
As a successful community leader with incredible life experience, Ruth is energised by assisting people who are prepared to ‘get on the ground’ and work hard to make things better (rather than stay on the sidelines, complaining).
Ruth spent the first part of her professional career in agriculture before discovering the joys of local government.
After a decade of working in local government as Councillor, coach and consultant she now shares her unique wisdom and practical advice as a speaker, trainer and facilitator through Ruth McGowan Pty Ltd.
What inspires me
“I’m passionate about working with people who strive to make our communities and organisations more inclusive places for us to play in, live and work.
I love collaborating with inspired people who want to make a positive difference. That’s what lights me up!”
- Bachelor of Agricultural Science, University of Melbourne
- Masters of Applied Science, University Western Sydney
- Cert IV Life Coaching – Life Coaching Academy, QLD
- Cert IV Governance – Gippsland TAFE
- Accredited Trainer in Edward de Bono’s Lateral Thinking – de Bono Institute, Melbourne
- CFA Wildfire Firefighter Minimum Skills
Ruth knows that being at the forefront of change in communities and organisations can be hard work. That’s when you need someone who has ‘got your back’. Someone who understands your problems and can work successfully with you to bring about effective change.
Ruth is a clear, practical thinker with outstanding skills as a coach, trainer and facilitator. Her approach is unique and tailored to the needs of each situation where clients need support. Her satisfied clients include Councillors, Councils, businesses and community groups.
Ruth manages her own consulting business, working across government, local councils and organisations in a diverse range of projects.
As a mentor and coach, Ruth provides confidential support to Councillors, Mayors and community leaders to grow from being more than just good community representatives to become great leaders who are influential in their role. Ruth also shares her wisdom as a public speaker, especially for community leadership programs and women’s events.
With a background in natural resource management, good governance, innovative thinking and effective engagement, Ruth is a well-qualified and experienced board member and respectful collaborator. She is committed to ‘giving back’ to her community and is the community engagement officer with her local CFA brigade.
As a people person, Ruth loves to collaborate and share her skills and experience with others. Her generous nature and lively, respectful approach, ensures her interactions are always positive and that approach is appreciated by her many happy clients.
“Being a details and process person, I also take immense pride in being absolutely professional so that my projects are always delivered on time and on budget with the T’s crossed and I’s dotted!”
- Guide Councillors as an independent adviser through the recruitment of their next CEO
- Power-Up! the CEO Performance Plan so it is aligned with Councillors’ goals, accountable and jargon-free.
- Assist community leaders, as they ‘step up’ into demanding roles, particularly women candidates for public office
- Coach and mentor groups, teams and one-on-one
- Conduct social research and stakeholder interviews
- Facilitate workshops for industry, community groups, local government and business.
- Consult with local government, agribusiness and community groups to help solve problems.
- Apply my experience and knowledge to assist organisations to undertake effective community engagement
- Utilise social media to empower women and support gender equality in all areas, including political office, leadership and public recognition
- Run innovative training and skills building in the local government sector
- Develop action to drive gender equity in local government
“Ruth keeps it real. She totally gets us”
Ruth has been nationally recognised as an exceptional community leader with an Order of Australia – OAM. Her approach to problem-solving is evidence-based, inclusive and innovative. She applies her scientific background and passion for genuine community engagement to deliver great results for her clients.
Member VLGA, past Vice President
Member of the International Coaching Federation (Associate Certified Coach)
Member, Order of Australia Association
Member Victorian Country Fire Association
Co-founder, Honour A Woman
REQUEST A CALL BACK
Would you like to speak to Ruth over the phone? Just submit your details and she will be in touch shortly. You can also email us if you would prefer.
“Please drop me a line, send a message, or phone 0431 664 693 — I would be delighted to speak about how I can help you”.